Full Time Position Available Immediately
Job Title: Director of Development
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Type: Non-Profit Legal Services
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is a 501(c)(3) which was founded in 1990 by members of the Philadelphia Bar Association and the homeless services community to address the unmet legal needs of Philadelphia’s homeless population. People experiencing homelessness have unique and complex legal problems that often are not adequately addressed by traditional providers of legal services to indigent and low-income individuals.
HAP staff and legal volunteers provide free legal counseling and representation to a population not adequately served by other legal services programs. We deliver legal services directly to our clients experiencing homelessness in places where they live and eat. Annually, HAP conducts legal clinics in homeless shelters, overnight cafes, and soup kitchens throughout Philadelphia.
HAP recognizes the immeasurable value of diversity and the urgent need for equity and inclusion in all of the work we do. To ensure that HAP lives up to our mission of reducing the frequency and duration of homelessness for everyone, we have established commitments that can be found at www.haplegal.org/DEI
The Director of Development is responsible for building and executing the development plan, overseeing grant writing and reporting with funding sources, coordinating all of the individual and institutional donor campaigns, major and planned gifts, and executing special fundraising events.
The ideal candidate must also have the ability and desire to work with wide-ranging constituents; have strong organizational and time-management skills; manage several fundraising initiatives simultaneously; act independently while effectively collaborating with the executive director, and other senior staff members; and utilize development and client/volunteer database software.
Major Responsibilities Include:
- Evaluating organizational fundraising efforts and making recommendations to HAP’s Executive Director and Board about overall fundraising strategy
- Preparing grant proposals and reports, both online and for mail submission
- Identifying and cultivating new: individual, foundation, and corporate prospects
- Coordinating the scheduling, staffing, and activities of the Development and HAP Annual Benefit Board Committees
- Managing Annual Appeal and United Way Campaigns
- Organizing and implementing Major Gifts and Planned Giving Programs
- Overseeing the planning and implementation of HAP Annual Benefit and silent auction
- Creating HAP’s bi-annual newsletter and annual report of donors
- Assisting with development and support of HAP’s marketing strategy
- Assisting with and membership on the Social Media/Website Internal Committee
- Assisting with development and implementation of HAP’s marketing and social media campaigns.
- Work in coordination with the HAP Volunteer Coordinator on joint projects and strategy
- Managing donor tracking and reporting using the DonorPerfect donor management database
- Generating donor invoices and thank you letters
- Supervising development staff including interns
- Performing other duties as assigned and required
- BS/BA Degree is strongly preferred
- 3 years of non-profit grants writing experience is required
- A proven track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, with superior attention to detail and drive for accuracy
- A commitment to serving vulnerable and diverse communities
- Knowledge and experience using fundraising databases, Donor Perfect preferred.
- Knowledge and experience using MS outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word Press.
- Knowledge and experience using social media programs for fundraising and marketing.
- Ability to function independently as well as part of a collegial team
- Willingness to work flexible hours for a deadline-driven position and travel locally when needed
- Commitment to the highest standards of professional, ethical behavior
Competitive salary and excellent benefits.
This is a full-time exempt position. Salary range, commensurate with experience: $70,000 to $90,000. Excellent benefits, including health and dental, long-and short-term disability, 401K, and generous PTO and holidays.
HAP has a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for all staff and volunteers.
We currently working limited days in the office. To keep our employees safe, we require masks in the common areas of our office and when social distancing is not possible.
Reports to: Executive Director
How to apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, candidates are urged to submit their materials by July 30, 2022. Please include a letter expressing in detail your interest in the position; your qualifications and what you hope to contribute to the organization’s future; a current resume; and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Materials should be submitted electronically to [email protected] in Microsoft Word or pdf format to Tanya L. Rambert, Director of Operations, HAP, 1429 Walnut St., 15th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
No Recruiters Please.
Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic information, or veteran status. HAP also values and seeks diversity and inclusion in all aspects of its work. Persons from diverse backgrounds and orientations are encouraged to apply.