Job Title: SOAR Paralegal (Full-Time)
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Type: Legal Services – Civil
The Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) exists to meet the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia. With a staff of 16 lawyers, paralegals, administrators, and one social worker, along with a corps of 350 volunteer legal professionals, HAP engages in direct outreach to individuals who are experiencing homelessness and who are in need of legal services.
HAP is seeking a full-time paralegal with a minimum of two years of experience, either in public interest law, disability-related law, or social work. Paralegal will be trained to handle a full caseload for clients who are applying for disability benefits through HAP’s fast-track SOAR Project. Under the supervision of HAP staff, paralegal will:
- Interview clients, maintain contact and relationship over claim length (3-6 months)
- Obtain, review, and analyze medical and other supporting records
- File social security disability claims
- Advocate on behalf of clients in writing and over the phone with disability adjudicators and SSA representatives
- Graduate of an accredited four-year college or university
- Excellent written, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Understanding and sensitivity to issues of people experiencing homelessness, living with mental illness, and in recovery from addiction
- Commitment to racial and social justice
- Spanish speaking
- Familiarity with Philadelphia’s social services landscape
HAP is currently working limited days in the office. To keep our employees safe, we require masks in
the common areas of our office and when social distancing is not possible.
How to Apply:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration,
candidates are urged to submit their materials by July 30, 2021. Please include a letter expressing in
detail your interest in the position; your qualifications, and what you hope to contribute to the
organization’s future; a current resume; and the names and contact information of three professional
Materials should be submitted electronically to [email protected] in Microsoft Word or pdf format
to the attention of Tanya L. Rambert, Director of Operations, HAP, 1429 Walnut St., 15th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
Salary is commensurate with experience based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Available
benefits include medical, dental, vision, term life, short and long term disability, 403(b) retirement
plan, and generous paid time off and holidays.
No Phone Calls, Recruiters, or Drop-ins Please.
Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, gender, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, citizenship, genetic information, or veteran status.